Sunday 7 June 2009

Orange broadband suddenly seems better

Because I live in a village our local exchange isn't scheduled to support LLU (Local Link Unbundling) until about 2012 which means we don't have access to all those tasty ADSL2+ services offered by the likes of Bethere.co.uk

I've used Be's service and it's very good. A reliable 15Mb/s realistic download speed is pretty good in my book.

But we've got the Orange broadband Max 8Mb service. I've always found any 8Mb service only seems to offer a realistic 2Mb downstream at best. My parents have BT Internet's 8Mb service and it's terrible.

However I tried the BBC iPlayer network performance test and it reported I was getting 6Mb/s download and the Orange connection now seems to be able to support upwards of 5Mb/s streaming.

Last time I checked I was only getting around the 2Mb/s mark... so what's happened? Is this some sort of fluke or have Orange/BT done something with their networks in recognition that it really isn't ok to charge for an 8Mb connection and only provide 2Mb.

I'll keep an eye on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment