Saturday 4 December 2010

5pm and still in the office

So I am an idiot. I've spent far too much of the last eight and a bit years of my life repeatedly falling for the same big fat lie.

It's limited my social life, hobbies, time with my family and even compromised my marriage on occasions. It's the 'macho culture of long hours'; a corrosive, unhealthy and unproductive approach to work that promises a great deal but delivers very little.

Chances are you've experienced this: the moment when it's time to go home, but you can't be the first to stand up, put your coat on and walk out the door... because you'll receive disapproving looks, you might not get a pay rise, people may tut, you'll be viewed as a slacker, you'll be letting colleagues down.... Any and all of the above can come in to play.

I've been that guy who almost always says 'Yes' and each time in the back of my mind I've expected something in return, recognition, money, career prospects, opportunities, the chance to work on that interesting project... But sadly when one 'goes the extra mile' 'it's rarely rewarded.

In fact it's much worse than simple lack of reward. The macho culture of long hours skews the measure of what can be achieved in a working day. Instead of the seven hours I was paid, I'd routinely work nine or even 11.

Then something strange happens, even on days when not very much is achieved, you've still done 10 hours. That way you can really appear to be productive.

The phrase I've used: Macho culture of long hours I heard from Julian Richer, owner of Richer Sounds. Unusually for a successful businessman it's something he doesn't tolerate in his company. In fact as far as he's concerned, if his staff are routinely working over, something's wrong and it should be dealt with.

I'm about to have a change of employment and I know that in my new role I'll have to work hard. But I also know I won't have anyone tutting if I leave the office at 5pm; that if I stay later and put in dozens of extra hours each month I'll be asked if I need some extra time off.

If you're suffering from the long hours culture, challenge it. If you put the extra in the hope of recognition, ask yourself if you've ever really had any, and if it made any difference to your life...

Then at 5pm, go home.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean I work extra hours for no credit but if I am even a couple of minutes late I am criticised for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a manager, I see staff doing long hours, I recognise it, I appreciate it, I am thankful for it!

    However, those thoughts I end up keeping to myself, I find it hard to provide suitable rewards. Words just don't seem enough, money has all sorts of problems, and anything in between is a muddle.

    So regardless of what I actually think of our great staff, it probably adds up to just the same. :(

    ReplyDelete