Saturday 26 March 2011

Shortcomings in my internets

I've been trying to work out the best way to deal with the very large quantities of data I have sitting around on various hard disks.

For the most part I'm not bad at the backup. There should be at least two copies of everything on separate disks, but all in the same room. Not great then.

So out of interest I've taken a look at a few online backup services. The most encouraging is backblaze. As much storage as you can eat for $5 a month.

However if I were to use this, uploading constantly, it would take over 233 days to do a full backup of just one of my disks.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this cloud business is all well and good but connectivity just isn't good enough. Apparently where I live it might get... Ooooh up to twice the current speed within the next three years.

Sigh


1 comment:

  1. That sounds a bargain.

    Do you have access to a fast network somewhere?

    We had similar issues making an off-site backup at work. We brought the two PCs together on the same network.

    ReplyDelete