Tuesday 28 June 2011

Grrrrr Seagate and your shoddy disks

Should anyone be tempted to buy a Seagate Green 1TB drive model ST1000DL002, let me save you some bother. 


Don't. I've got four of them, they're all equally rubbish.



The problem is random seek performance which is considerably slower than specified. They claim 12-13ms, which is pretty slow these days, but that's because these drives spin at a relatively slow 5,900rpm. All part of their green credentials; less speed means less power required plus less heat and noise generated.


However all four of my drives best at 16.8ms average seek. That's quite a bit slower. I've got these in a raid array that as an array ends up hitting over 20ms average seek.


Rubbish.


In contrast, the now quite old Western Digital Black I use as a boot drive measures at 9ms average seek, which is just about what the spec suggests.


So that'll be the last time I buy Seagate.

No comments:

Post a Comment