Thursday 27 December 2012

Why I don't love android

A few years ago I decided against the ever so fashionable iphone and bought the first Android offering, the G1. I quite liked it but the software available (ok... Apps) let it down. Google irritated me by not including some of the basics, taking an attitude of 'the community will provide this'. Trouble is that took too long.

So I went Apple and haven't looked back until now.

Recently I got a nexus 7 and, whilst it's a really nice piece of hardware, I still don't love android.

The trouble is despite android devices outnumbering humans on the planet, or something, nobody is making much seriously good software.

Apple have keynote, pages and Numbers whereas Google have... Actually they have quick office, which Google has bought up and is absolutely dreadful on my nexus 7.

Apple has garageband, which is superb. Google has... Nothing comparable.

And there are hundreds of third party, truly excellent products available for ios with no comparison for Android.

I don't know why, but it seems there isn't enough money in apps for Android... Either that or it's much harder to write software for Google's platform.

Either way, I'm disappointed by what's on offer. So much so that I think the nexus 7 may well have to make way for an ipad mini.

Apple's way of restricting their users often grates, but they've created by far the best eco system for portable devices and Google has simply failed to catch up, despite the number of Android devices sold.

Fundamentally it doesn't matter how good the android hardware is and how unrestricted the os if I can't do what I want with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment